Blog :

The Importance of Hobbies

Oct 20, 2022
The Importance of Hobbies

2 minutes - as long as it takes to brush your teeth 😀

“So, what are your hobbies?”

Whether you’re asked this on a date, at work, or in everyday life, the majority of us are often stumped by this question. 

What is a hobby? How do we form one? Why am I being asked this question?

No doubt, your inner monologue has asked one of the above questions from time to time. But, in its simplest form - a hobby is something outside of work that you care about. 

It could be sport, it could be something creative or art-based, it could be reading, writing, music - essentially it’s out of your day job, you enjoy it - and it enriches your life.

Why are hobbies important?

For the most part, the majority of us spend 80% of our weeks at work. And, there’s a high chance that you’ll think about your job even the other 20% of the time, depending on what you do and how stressful it is.

Hobbies are important for a few reasons

#1 It’s mentally stimulating, not mentally draining

Hobbies are great because they exercise your brain (or body) differently from your day-to-day job, or socialising with friends. Hobbies can be a great way to enhance your life - whether it’s a hobby that enables you to learn something new, or you can dive into something like exercise which will leave you feeling uplifted from the endorphins. 

#2 You take your mind off work 

Thinking about something for too long, such as work, isn’t a healthy way to operate. A hobby enables you to take your mind off work, and focus on something else for a while. 

Our jobs can be demanding both mentally and physically, so finding a hobby that is completely unrelated to what you do, can allow you to metaphorically “switch off” and focus on something else. 

#3 It’s selfish (but in the best way possible)

There’s nothing wrong with being selfish and having something that’s just for you. Having a personal hobby enables you to spend more time with yourself, get to know yourself - and most importantly, take care of yourself! 

Your hobby doesn’t always have to be centred on self-improvement (whether mental or physical). It could be baking, painting, gardening, art, or even doing an activity on your own. Being selfish is essential for reflection, recharging your social battery, and feeling in control of your time. 

But, how do I know what I like?

We can’t answer that for you - but the beauty of a hobby is that it can be anything, and you can chop and change between hobbies as much or as little as you’d like. 

Think of a hobby as a way to unwind, get to know yourself, and get enjoyment from it - and see what is out there. Instead of seeing it as a tick-box exercise, see it as something that simply adds joy to your life.

download our handbook for mental health at work


Read on
Jul 26, 2022

Blog :

Why you Should Take that Sick Day

Have you ever noticed a colleague, or maybe even an employee of yours, proudly waving the flag of...
Jan 31, 2022

Blog :

Finding Your New 'Why' at Work

We’ll refrain from saying “Happy New Year” (as it probably isn’t socially acceptable to do so in...

Content Hub.

Our community immersed in Technology & Design. Passionate about new innovations, industry culture and diversifying leadership.

Together we produce a range of media and live events. Our doors are open and new members are welcome to join us!

Go to Host